Perks of hiring Ukrainian developers when outsourcing your project
Many startups and established businesses are outsourcing development to Ukraine. Moreover, famous international companies, such as Samsung, Playtech, Netcracker Technology and Ubisoft, choose to open their R&D offices in this Eastern European country. According to the research, 60% of Ukrainian developers are working in outsourcing/ODT. In this article we talk about advantages of outsourcing to Ukraine, one of the top outsourcing countries and bring in data to support this point.
Are you interested in getting the same high-quality product but for less money?
Ukrainian developers ask more for their services ($25–50 per hour) than those from India ($10–30 per hour) software development industry. But at the same time their rates are lower than those of developers from US or Western Europe ($70–100 per hour). Why? The cost of living in Ukraine is lower than in the developed countries plus the inflation of national currency allow developers working for foreign companies to earn a higher salary.
Do you want developers working on your project to have relevant university degrees?
74% of Ukrainian developers have a software engineering or other technical degree. It means that they are ready for complex and demanding software product development. However, if you need an MVP for your startup, Ukrainian IT companies are also a place to start.
Would you prefer to have the same working hours as your development team?
Despite all the advantages of the offshore software development, it can be hard if you can’t get an instant response or have a discussion with your team because of the inconvenient time difference. If you live in EU, it won’t be a problem. Ukraine is located in UTC+02:00 timezone which means 1 hour difference with Berlin or 2 hour difference with London (plus one more hour for summer time).
If you live in USA, there’s a communication window during business hours when you can talk to your offshore development team. For example, for New York it would be 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM (3:00 PM - 6:00 PM in Ukraine). Pretty convenient, right?
Will language be a problem with Ukrainian developers?
Nope. According to DOU, 78% of Ukrainian developers speak English at intermediate or higher level and 45% are actively using it to communicate with customers and colleagues:
Why work with Ukrainian web development studio and not a freelance developer?
If you need a quick fix, a freelancer might offer you more flexibility than studio. But if you need to an MVP for your startup, mobile app created from the ground up, front-end and back-end development or design for your company, a studio is a better option because of:
- Higher reliability. Freelancers tend to come and go and in a few months the developer you worked with might be unavailable. Software development firms are more reliable in this regard.
- More coding done. Studio will allocate a PM for your project who will be responsible for planning and reporting so that developers and designers could do their job. Freelancers do all this things themselves which results in less coding and more management.
- More resources at your disposal. If you want to launch quicker and have sufficient funds, the studio can bring in additional resources for your project. But there’s only so much a single freelance developer can do.
What if you need a bigger development team?
No problem. Best software development companies in Ukraine can hire additional staff if the size of the project requires it. According to the IT Ukraine report, currently Ukraine has 90,000 developers and by 2020 this number will grow to 200,000 so you will definitely find the team of the necessary size.
What about the situation in Ukraine and its conflict with Russia?
Ukraine and Russia are involved in a geopolitical crisis on the east of the country. However, only about 3% of the whole country are contained to it and the conflict is not spreading. It doesn’t intervene with operation of Ukrainian IT market and holding such events as Outsource People 2015 conference. In fact, the demand for Ukrainian IT talents is even 1.8 times higher than supply, according to the IT Ukraine report.
All in all, advantages of working with Ukrainian developers include:
- Rates on Ukrainian IT outsourcing market are lower than those in Western Europe and the USA.
- High level of relevant technical education and expertise among developers.
- Comfortable hours for Skype calls and discussions.
- Developers and PMs with intermediate and above level of English.
Thanks for reading!